Fall Maintenance Checklist
Fall is not a very long season, but it is a nice change between summer and winter. Prepare your home for fall with these tasks.
- Ceiling Fans: Your ceiling fan should run counter clockwise in the fall and winter to help press warm air down.
- Water Heater: It is recommended that you flush out your water heater a few times a year depending on the usage. Be sure to check your homeowner’s manual to see what the manufacturer suggests.
- Sump Pump: Test your sump pump to make sure it is working properly.
- Furnace: Call a professional to have your heating system checked. This is to make sure everything is on point for the colder weather. Help by wiping down the air vents and registers.
- Furnace Filters: Change out your furnace filter.
- Fireplace: Clean your fireplace and make sure it is working properly. Look in your handbook for further information.
- Fire alarm CO detectors: Check the batteries in these and make sure they are working properly.
- Air Conditioner: Cover your air conditioning unit to prevent debris and winter weather from destroying it.
- Water Hose: Store your water hose and winterize all of your outdoor faucets.
- Decks: Check and inspect your deck.
- Gutters: Clean out your gutters and downspouts. Make sure both are free of leaves and debris, allowing for water to run properly.
- Roof: Inspect your roof by checking for shingles that are missing, broken or curling.
- Trees/Bushes: Trim your trees and bushes.
- Outdoor Furniture: Cover and store any outdoor furniture
- Garbage/Recycling Bins: Wash and excess out of them so they are ready for winter.
- Sprinkler System: With cold weather on its way, please DO NOT forget to protect your sprinkler system from freezing by having it winterized by a professional licensed landscaper.